In the last post I talked about how I adapted Yaya Han’s peacock costume pattern, M7218, to create my phoenix costume. That post covered my style changes, so today I’ll talk a little bit more about how I created the understructure for this costume.
Category Archives: Projects
Yaya Han’s peacock costume is a showstopper, but when I set out to make my own version of her pattern (M7218) I wasn’t planning to replicate it exactly. I knew from the start that I wanted to switch up the color palette, turning the peacock into a phoenix. I went easy on the feathers to keep the cost under control, but chose rich-looking silk fabrics to preserve the drama. I used the side panels of the bodice to indulge in some detailed hand work, and tweaked the construction slightly to suit my fabric choices and personal preferences.